Wizards of the Coast is coming out with their first official Dungeons and Dragons adventure of the year, but this one is a little different than their normal fair.
Candlekeep Mysteries is a collection of 17 one-shot adventures, each by different designers. And to make this collection stand out even more, it will be the first official dungeon adventure to be wheelchair accessible.
It will be available March 16th for $49.95 on Amazon.
Traditionally, the 5th edition D&D books have been for entire campaigns that will take the adventuring party through a series of levels. These campaigns take several sessions and can last days, weeks or even years, depending on the adventuring party. Candlekeep Mysteries features 17 completely separate one-shot adventures that can be played in a single session (2-4 hours). The only connection between the separate adventures is the theme of Books.
“It originated out of the need to provide Dungeon Masters with short adventures that they can easily integrate into their Forgotten Realms campaign — or into any campaign, really — that has in it a library,” said Chris Perkins, D&D’s principal story designer, in a press briefing. “Each adventure is built on the premise of the characters finding a book. That book is what propels a mystery, a mystery that the characters feel compelled to solve, which then leads them on a grand adventure.”
Authors for the new compilations include:
- Graeme Barber (@POCGamer)
- Kelly Lynne D’Angelo (@kellylynnedang)
- Alison Huang (@Drazillion)
- Mark Hulmes (@sherlock_hulmes)
- Jennifer Kretchmer (@dreamwisp)
- Daniel Kwan (@danielhkwan)
- Adam Lee (@adamofadventure)
- Ari Levitch (@AriLevitch)
- Chris Lindsay (@ravens_watching)
- Sarah Madsen (@UnfetteredMuse),
- Michael Polkinghorn (@MiketheGoalie)
- Taymoor Rehman (@DarkestCrows)
- Hannah Rose (@wildrosemage)
- Derek Ruiz (@ElvenTower)
- Kienna Shaw (@kiennas)
- Brandes Stoddard (@BrandesStoddard)
- Amy Vorpahl (@vorpahlsword)
- Toni Winslow-Brill (@vorgryth)
An anthology of seventeen mystery-themed adventures for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.
Candlekeep attracts scholars like a flame attracts moths. Historians, sages, and others who crave knowledge flock to this library fortress to peruse its vast collection of books, scribbled into which are the answers to the mysteries that bedevil them. Many of these books contain their own mysteries ̶—each one a doorway to adventure. Dare you cross that threshold?
· 17 mystery-themed D&D adventures, each tied to a book discovered in the famed library fortress of Candlekeep
· Easy to run as stand-alone mini adventures or to drop into your home campaign
· Adventures span play from levels 1 to 16
· Includes a full poster map of Candlekeep, plus detailed descriptions of the various locations, characters, and creatures that reside within it
· Introduces a variety of Dungeons & Dragons monsters, items, and non-player characters (NPCs)
Candlekeep Mysteries is a collection of seventeen short, stand-alone D&D adventures designed for characters of levels 1–16. Each adventure begins with the discovery of a book, and each book is the key to a door behind which danger and glory await. These adventures can be run as one-shot games, plugged into an existing Forgotten Realms campaign, or adapted for other campaign settings. This book also includes a poster map of the library fortress and detailed descriptions of Candlekeep and its inhabitants.
An alternative art cover with a distinctive design and soft-touch finish is available exclusively in game stores on March 16, 2021 for $49.95