Virtual Masquerade Results
Comic-Con@Home has announced the winners of awards and prizes of the 2020 Masquerade Costume Competition! The event had 50 entries and was staged on the social networking site Tumblr, and included submissions from the USA, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Scotland, England, Italy, Germany, Lithuania, Egypt, and Australia.
Best In Show – “Astra, Queen of the Frostborn”,
an Original Design crafted by Sara Kruger.
Judges’ Choice – “Cinderella With a Twist”,
an Original Design by Mandy Pursey, with Ryan Pursey.
Best Re-Creation – “Iron Man Mark 85”
from Avengers: Endgame, made by Frank Pillar.
Best Original Design – “ACK! The Kenku Monk”,
designed and made by Breanne Cremean.
Best Workmanship (tie, two awards given):
“Mercy (classic skin)” from the Overwatch game, made by Birdy Cosplay.
“Arturia Pendragon”, from the anime & game Fate/stay night, crafted by Daniella Lo Presti.
Best Presentation – “Ready For The Fight!!”,
consisting of assorted recreations, from Noe Enersto Cruz Vargas.
Most Humorous – “Sally”,
from The Nightmare Before Christmas, crafted by Liz Gatouco.
Best Group – “Luke Skywalker, C3P0, & R2D2”,
from Star Wars. Made by Tim O’Sullivan and JT Stevens.
The above winners will receive San Diego Comic-Con Masquerade Trophy Medallions, crafted by the same company that makes the Emmy Awards and People’s Choice Awards. Plus, they will receive free 4-day attendee badges to San Diego Comic-Con International 2021!
Honorable Mentions were given to:
- Adrienne C. – “1740’s Elizabeth Swan” from Pirates of the Caribbean
- Jennifer YI – “Keesha’s Hungry”, from Star Wars
Entries can be seen on the
Comic-Con@Home Tumblr page.
Donating their own generous awards to the contestants:
- Since 1851 the name Singer has been synonymous with sewing. SINGER® Sewing Brand is carrying the spirit of creativity and innovative design into the cosplay and costuming community with a prize of a new SINGER® Heavy Duty 6800 computerized sewing machine and a SINGER® Heavy Duty 0400s serger to the entry that best demonstrated exceptional sewing techniques, to Mandy Pursly for “Cinderella With a Twist”.
- From The Costume Designers Guild IATSE Local 892, representing Hollywood costume designers, assistant costume designers, and costume illustrators working at the highest levels of expertise in motion pictures, TV, commercials, music videos, and new media, $500 in gift cards to JOANN Fabrics & Crafts is awarded to its CDG Spotlight Winner: “Astra, Queen of the Frostborn”, made and worn by Sara Kruger, in recognition of her creatively, craftsmanship and overall presentation.
- From the Frank & Son Collector Show, in the City of Industry, California, a bi-weekly mini-con for everyone’s collectible needs, a generous award of $1,000 cash is awarded for the best character recreation: “Iron Man Mark 85”, crafted by Frank Pillar.
Comic-Con@Home Masquerade Guest Judges included:
- Laura Jean Shannon – Costume Designer Laura Jean Shannon’s recent television credits include serving as Superhero/Specialty Costume Designer on DC’s Black Lightning, Titans, Doom Patrol, and Stargirl. Her film credits include: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Two Guns, and Scott Pilgrim Vs the World, as well as The Jungle Book, Chef , Elf, and Iron Man, the latter earned Shannon a nomination for the Costume Design Guild Award for Excellence in Contemporary Film Design.
- Gigi Bannister – An experienced producer, director, writer and special effects makeup artist and coordinator for a wide variety of independent feature films, TV shows, and live events, she’s been in the film industry for 45 years. Between making films is often a guest speaker at conventions, film festivals, seminars, and appears regularly at Comic-Con: International where she donates her time and talents with professional make-up assistance for Masquerade contestants.
- Allan Lavigne – Costumer, make-up special effects artist, sculptor, and painter with 40+ years with credits from Lucasfilm, Sony Pictures, Disney, and more, his work has been exhibited around the world in museums, film premieres, and numerous conventions. His Bronze Armory studio is in the San Francisco Bay area where he creates, lectures, and teaches. Formerly a top winner for many years in fan costuming at many conventions, he brings with him great insight from having learned and honed his costume skills as a contestant himself.
Comic-Con@Home gives a very appreciative
thank you to everyone who participated!
Comic-Con International: San Diego (SDCC)