Just Who Had The Worst Week Ever? Donald Trump or The Confederate Flag
If you ever thought you had a rough week, I think this might make you feel better knowing that in some cases……others can have it even worse.
In this instance we explore the cases of two giant red symbols, one being the confederate flag and the other being Donald Trump and his gnarly hair. One was ousted for being a symbol of hate while the other was ousted for being a symbol of racism…….you take your pick which offended you most these past few weeks. (please remember this is all in fun)
Let’s look at the side by side count of events from both hot button trending topics and see who comes out on top having the worst week ever in pop culture!
– The confederate flag was removed from the South Carolina capital building by activist Bree Newsome, the day after announcing it would take weeks to be removed by the South Carolina government. The flag was put back up within hours.
– Donald Trump pisses-off just about every single living Mexican and Mexican-American on the planet (including myself) with incendiary racist remarks of how “Mexico doesn’t send over its best, they send mostly rapists and drug dealers”. Backlash ensues when Mexican host to channel Univision walk from working on a simulcast of the Miss USA Pageant. Eventually Univision drops plans to simulcast event all-together.
– Walmart, Warner Brothers, Ebay and Amazon announce they will all stop any sales of items with images of the confederate flag. This then leads to high demands and costs of such items like toys in the secondary market
– Donald Trump was all fired up about starting a lawsuit over Univision’s backing out of Miss USA Pageant. The station that airs Trump’s beauty pageant (NBC) yanks that opportunity to sue right out from under Trump by telling the Donald that he himself is now FIRED from the NBC station, along with all his shows. The Apprentice and The Celebrity Apprentice, along with both Miss Universe and Miss USA pageants.
– TV Land decides that it longer wants to air Dukes of Hazzard Classic 80’s TV show. In their words it has nothing to do about the confederate flag. But the world doesn’t buy that excuse and has caused an uproar over this latest Confederate flag witch hunt and burning to the stake.
-Donald Trump is now dumped by Macy’s – The major department store will stop selling Trump clothing line by phasing it out of its stores.
– Bubba Watson – a famous pro PGA golfer who has a custom-built Dukes of Hazzard “General Lee,” announced that he will cover up the confederate flag image that is synonymous with the classic TV show from his prop car. Hollywood Cars Volo Auto Museum is willing to buy the car before it is de-faced.
– NASCAR is the latest organization that wants to distance itself from having any ties to Donald Trump. The motorsports series said it will not hold its season-ending awards ceremony at the Trump National Doral Miami.
And just one more to even-out the bad week: A group of rednecks decide to have an impromptu confederate flag parade………that ended up looking even more foolish by having the redneck’s crash with one another. “God don’t like ugly” viral video was born.
There it is folks. Who had the worst week ever? Donald Trump the man who stuck his foot in his own mouth and who’s only way to apologize for such statements….Trump would rather try to keep suing Univision and kicking out all Univision staff from using his Miami golf club.
Trump also would rather deny he was fired from Macy’s and says he left the cooperation on his own accord. I am a Mexican-American and there is no way I can forgive Trump’s statements, but an apology would be a start. What does Trump say now about Mexican people. “I love the Mexican people, I love the Mexican food too” – Donald Trump
The confederate flag is caught up in a whirlwind of controversy after being used as a symbol of a horrific killing in a South Carolina Church. The killer’s social media site showed the killer idolizing the flag and that’s how the debate started. It does make sense to me to take down the flag from government buildings and being sold in stores and online. The reason I believe in that is for the very same statement that was made on Comedy Central’s “Nightly Show” (picture seen directly above) – “You can have a confederate flag without being a racist. But you HAVE to accept the FACT that if you have the confederate flag on your lawn……people will think you are a racist.”
But to have TV Land remove the “Dukes” TV show from its lineup has many people scratching their heads. The fact that I have seen TV news anchors who are African-Americans also upset about the losing an iconic TV show should show this is going too far. While one red symbol asked for these last few weeks of controversy by remarks made, the other just got caught up in a National debate about controversy.